Thursday, January 26, 2012

Can you Really Blame Fausto Carmona?

I may not be in the majority here, but I'm not going to beat up Fausto Carmona for faking his identity and shaving three years off his age in order to sign a contract with the Indians.

Was it illegal?  Yes.  But so is stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family when you're hungry.

If I were in his shoes and had the choice between bone crushing poverty or saying my name was Batchagaloop Jones so that I had a chance to escape that life and help my family out along the way, I'd sign in a heartbeat.  You would too.

There's the old adage that players don't walk their way off the island.  Jose Reyes was a free swinger.  Vladimir Guerrero still doesn't see a pitch he won't swing at (he also lied about his age).  17 year old pitchers that can throw like 20 year olds will get a longer look before getting cut loose.  If it took taking someone else's name to chase his one chance, I really can't blame the guy.

I'm not going to cast stones.  He did what he had to do.

Hope to see you in Cleveland this season, Fausto (or Roberto Hernandez Heredia).  I'm not mad at you.

No comments:

Post a Comment